Also known as: Engineering Tradesperson - Fabrication
Welders construct or repair metal products by joining parts using one of several welding processes. There are first, second and third class Welders (second and third class Welders perform less complex tasks related to welding).
- Study blueprints or specifications and decide which welding methods to use;
- Clean and prepare metal surfaces for welding, cutting, gouging, bevelling, grinding or filing;
- Cut metal shapes using flame cutting torches;
- Pre-heat thick metals to required temperatures;
- Fit attachments, connect hoses to gas tanks etc;
- Adjust welding machine variables;
- Inspect and check welds; and
- Clean and smooth welds.
- Enjoy technical activities;
- Interested in computer programmable machinery;
- Physically fit;
- Strength to handle materials, tools and machines;
- Good hand-eye coordination;
- Able to work in a team;
- Able to work independently;
- No skin or breathing allergies; and
- Safety conscious.
$60,000 - $130,000