Fitting and Machining
Also known as: Diesel Fitter, Heavy Equipment Fitter, Instrument Fitter, Fixed Plant Fitter.
Fitters are responsible for the maintenance, repair and manufacture of metal products and machinery. Fitters in the minerals and energy industry can specialise as:
- Diesel and Heavy Earthmoving Equipment Fitters - Diagnose problems, repair, overhaul, tune, maintain and test heavy duty mobile equipment used on site.
- Instrument Fitters - Fit, assemble, install and maintain the sophisticated electronic instruments.
- Mechanical Fitter - Service and repair brakes, engines, transmissions and suspension components.
- Fixed Plant Fitter - Overhaul pumps, install pumps, repair ball and rod mills, repair crusher, install plant and equipment.
- Mark the shape and dimensions of a part to be machined by studying blueprints and using measuring instruments;
- Assemble and fit machined parts using drill holes and tap threads, if necessary, for bolting parts together;
- Check tightness of joints and operation of moving parts, and file or chisel parts to make final adjustments if the fit is not perfect;
- Cut, thread, bend and install hydraulic and pneumatic pipes and lines;
- Manufacture, repair and maintain equipment; and
- Identify faulty equipment.
- The ability to work under pressure;
- The ability to work on multiple tasks at the same time;
- The ability to prioritise critical tasks and cope with changing priorities;
- The ability to concentrate for a long period;
- Excellent verbal communication skills;
- The ability to coordinate team activities;
- Reliable, responsible, able to maintain alertness, must be assertive; and
- Knowledge of plant and safety awareness, commitment to company values.
$80,000 - $140,000