Miners operators use specialist equipment to excavate, load and transport ore, coal and rock in underground or open-cut mining operations.
Experienced Miners are in demand within the minerals industry as they are central to operations. They help with construction, repair and maintenance.
Open-cut and underground miners may specialise as Airleg Miners, Jumbo and Longhole Drill Operators, continuous Mining Machine Operators, Longwall Miner Operators, Development Machine Miners and Mechanical Bogger Operators. Check the Equipment Operator profile for more specific information.
Mining technician job requirements:
- Operating machines;
- Assisting workers to extract geological materials, using hand tools and equipment;
- Helping to extract craft workers, such as earth drillers, blasters and explosives workers, derrick operators, and mining machine operators and monitoring equipment operation during the extraction process;
- Supplying equipment or cleaning work areas;
- Collecting geological matter, using hand tools and testing devices;
- Signalling workers to start extraction;
- Repairing automotive and drilling equipment;
- Delivery and set-up of materials, devices and machine parts, using hand tools;
- Loading materials into gas or well hole, or equipment; and
- Dismantling and extracting excavation material and equipment.
- Enjoy practical and manual activities;
- Aptitude for mechanical equipment operation;
- Able to tolerate physically demanding work, including shift work;
- Willing to work within occupational health and safety rules; and
- Age limits may apply.
$65,000 - $120,000