Automotive Mechanic (Heavy or Light)
Also known as: Automotive Mechanic, Automotive Technician, Car Mechanic, Mechanic - Light Vehicle, Mechanic (Light Vehicle), Motor Mechanic.
Automotive Mechanics can train as either a light automotive mechanic or a heavy automotive mechanic. Motor Mechanics will primarily service and repair the mechanical parts of motor vehicles such as the engine, transmission (clutch, gear box and differential) and the suspension systems (springs, steering, brakes, wheels and tyres). With the rapid changes in automotive technology, motor mechanics are becoming more specialised in their areas of work.
- Discussing problems with vehicle drivers to discover faults and carry out their own diagnosis procedures;
- Repair and service cooling systems, fuel systems, air conditioning and emission control systems, clutch assemblies, manual and automatic transmissions, braking systems, final drive assemblies and steering and suspension systems;
- Repair of ignition, electronic engine management and electrical systems;
- Diagnose, overhaul, repair, tune, maintain and test diesel and petrol/gas-powered vehicles, including trucks, buses, bulldozers and other earthmoving equipment, tractors, stationary engines (e.g. generators, pumps, compressors and drilling rigs);
- Detect mechanical and electrical faults by using instruments that check charging and starting circuitry, batteries, ignition and ignition timing, fuel injection systems and speed control, cylinder compression, engine condition, braking efficiency, and wheel balance and alignment;
- Repair and maintain the hydraulic components of diesel and petrol/gas engines that are used to power attachments such as hoists, booms, scrapers, buckets and augers; and
- Use oxy, electric, TIG and MIG welding, hand fitting or machining processes to replace or repair faulty parts.
- Enjoy practical and manual activities;
- Able to work with hand tools;
- Technical aptitude;
- Problem-solving skills;
- Physically fit;
- Normal eyesight and hearing; and
- Driver's licence essential.
$70,000 - $130,000