Also known as: IT Systems Administrator.
Systems Administrators coordinate changes to computer databases, test and implement the database applying knowledge of database management systems. They may plan, coordinate, and implement security measures to safeguard computer databases.
- Write logical and physical data base descriptions including location, space, access method, and security;
- Train users and answers questions;
- Specify user and user access levels for each segment of data base;
- Revise company definition of data as defined in data dictionary;
- Confer with co-workers to determine scope and limitations of project;
- Review procedures in data base management system manuals for making changes to data base;
- Review workflow charts developed by Programmer Analyst to understand tasks computer will perform, such as updating records;
- Code data base descriptions and specifies identifiers of data base to management system or directs others in coding descriptions;
- Test, corrects errors, and modify changes to programs or to data base;
- Review project request describing data base user needs, estimating time and cost required to accomplish project;
- Direct Programmers and Analysts to make changes to data base management system;
- Select and enter codes to monitor data base performance and to create production data base;
- Develop data model describing data elements and how they are used, following procedures using pen, template or computer software; and
- Establish and calculate optimum values for data base parameters, using manuals and calculator.
- Good at technical activities;
- Good communication skills;
- Able to quickly understand complex problems and devise effective solutions;
- Able to direct and oversee the work of others.
$65,000 - $85,000