Also known as: Applications Programmer, Computer Programmer, Information Technology Programmer, Systems Programmer.
Programmers (IT) write, test and maintain computer programs to make sure that the computer application meets the needs of the users of the computer system.
Programmers (IT) may perform the following tasks:
- Assist systems analysts and/or designers in researching and documenting computer users' requirements;
- Analyse objectives and problems specified by analysts and/or designers;
- Translate the solutions provided by systems designers into detailed program specifications;
- Prepare documentation for other programmers, users of the system and other support services workers;
- Undertake program design activities including definition of data and error message arrangements;
- Supervise and report on work of more junior programmers;
- Modify and document program code to correct errors or to enhance a program's capabilities;
- Test the programs and make amendments; and
- Prepare reports on the status, operation and maintenance of system software for use by computer equipment suppliers, systems designers, other programmers and computer operators.
- Technical aptitude;
- Logical approach to the solution of problems;
- Able to work independently;
- Able to work as part of a team; and
- Good communication skills.
$40,000 - $80,000