Also known as: Life Scientist
Biologists predict the effect mining will have on ecosystems & develop methods to ensure creatures return to rehabilitated areas after mining. They examine the anatomy, physiology and biochemistry of living things and how they interact with each other and the environment. A Biologist in the minerals and energy industry may perform the following tasks:
- Predict the effect mining will have on ecosystems;
- Develop methods to ensure creatures return to rehabilitated areas after mining;
- Determine the influence of internal and external environments on processes in animals (including humans), plants and other organisms;
- Study organisms in controlled environments to gain an understanding of their survival and growth in real environments;
- Examine the way mixed communities and ecosystems function in relation to their environment and the different organisms found in them; and
- Predict the way humans and other influences will affect the structure and interactions in natural ecosystems.
- Enjoy and have aptitude for science and research;
- Able to think logically and analytically;
- Able to carry out detailed and accurate work;
- Good communication skills;
- Flexible; and
- Able to work as part of a team.
$50,000 - $100,000