Also known as: Drill and Blast Engineer.
A Drilling Engineer develops, plans, costs, schedules and supervises the operations necessary in the process of drilling oil and gas wells. Drill Engineers are involved in all stages of the drilling lifecycle - from the initial well design and testing, to completion and abandonment. As a drill engineer you may find yourself employed on land or sea.
Notwithstanding the professional technical knowledge of this role, the Drill Engineer also may require a solid understanding of administering drilling and service contracts and the ability to manage and supervise the drilling crew. Furthermore, the Drill Engineer role requires the individual to be able to work with and seek assistance from other professionals, such as Geologists and Geoscientists.
- Responsible for effective design and implementation of well plans, provide drilling plans, conceptual design, detail design and work programs for prospective oil and gas wells;
- Involved with the conceptual design and planning for conventional and complex wells;
- Well design including casing, directional, fluids, cementing, bits and hydraulics programming;
- Liaison with other professionals and key third party contractors regarding equipment selection and operation for input to well designs and programmes;
- Ensures that daily operations are in accordance with drilling program;
- Compile reports and hold status meetings, ensuring lessons learned are recorded and incorporated in future programmes and assist in carrying out cost reconciliations; and
- Supervision and management of drill team.
- Hold relavent tertiary qualification;
- Enjoy practical and manual activities;
- Aptitude for mechanics and able to handle machinery;
- Physically fit;
- Able to work as part of a team;
- Willing to work in remote areas under difficult conditions;
- Good organisation skills;
- Able to record details accurately;
- Clean police record;
- Be 18 years old (as it is a legal requirement on most mine and quarry sites);
- Have a drug and alcohol clearance; and
- Pass a medical examination.
$80,000 - $140,000