Also known as: Offsider.
Trades Assistants help metal engineering tradespersons by performing routine tasks. They may specialise as Boilermakers Assistants, Fitters Assistants, Metal Forgers Assistants, Metal Moulders Assistants, or as Second-class or Third-class Welders.
- Position and hold metal stock or products to enable work to be carried out;
- Perform assembly and dismantling operations;
- Solder or spot weld components using electrical spot or butt welding machines;
- Operate power hammers, presses or other cutting and shaping tools and machines;
- Ensure tools and materials are available for tradesperson;
- Hand tools to tradespersons and hold tools not immediately required; and
- Clean and prepare working surfaces.
- Enjoy technical activities;
- Interested in computer programmable machinery;
- Physically fit;
- Strength to handle materials, tools and machines;
- Good hand-eye coordination;
- Able to work in a team, and
- Able to work independently.
$40,000 - $60,000