Heavy Machinery Operator
Also known as: Truck Driver, Excavator Operator, Bulldozer Operator, Grader Operator, Scraper Operator.
Heavy Machinery Operators use heavy vehicles to transport goods and materials from one area to another. The resources sector offers great careers opportunities for the following operators job role:
Excavator Operators are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of excavators to dig, move and load earth, rock or other materials.
- Load and unload plant from low loaders and manoeuvre it around site operations;
- Communicate with truck drivers and other personnel to coordinate operations;
- Operate equipment to excavate to correct levels and alignment, working from drawings and markers;
- Back-fill trenches;
- Select and change excavator attachments; and
- Service equipment.
Bulldozer Operators are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of bulldozers, using the blade and other attachments to gouge out and move rock, earth and other materials.
- Operate the plant to remove overburden;
- Carry out basic maintenance, adjustments and repairs to plant - only if qualified;
- Carry out pre start checks;
- Set levels;
- Use machines to anchor form; and
- Remove obstructions on roads.
Grader Operators are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of graders to spread and level materials on site.
- Level surfaces by making repeated passes over working areas and observing survey pegs or signals from co-workers;
- Dig out ditches by tilting grader blade;
- Break up surface with scarifying attachments; and
- Service equipment regularly.
Scraper Operators are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of scrapers which pick up, haul, deposit and level earth on mining sites.
- Drive machines to scrape surfaces to a given depth and collect material in their bowls to be deposited elsewhere on site;
- Dump and spread material following the guidance of survey pegs; and
- Service and make minor repairs to the equipment.
Truck Drivers use heavy vehicles to transport goods and materials from one area to another.
- Check brakes, oil, tyres, electrical systems,water, hydraulic and air;
- Load, or supervise loading, of material onto the truck;
- Transport material to destination; and
- Maintain log book.
$70,000 - $110,000